Wasn’t that some fun!?
20 years down, now embarking on the next 20!
Plenty more ahead, of course, through the end of the month, including:
— City Jazz – CCSF Jazz Club’s big combo – coming in on Wednesday the 22nd to celebrate the end of the term with a blowout jam & party, 7pm
— The 230 Jones Street band holding forth on Friday the 24th, 5:30pm
— The Glen Pearson Quartet featuring the great saxophonist Robert Stewart on Saturday the 25th, 7:30pm
— and three events on Sunday the 26th:
• Walker Talks — on the Romantic era visionary poet William Blake — at 2:30pm
• The Frank Tusa Trio with Akira Tana at 4:30pm
• The Evangenitals — up from L.A. with a new cd — at 7:30pm
— then, rounding out the month, five more events:
• a gathering to remember poet, humanist and dearly missed friend of the shop Maurice Woods on Memorial Day, Monday the 27th, 7pm
• Craig & MacGregor bringing us the vocalist Crystal Miller on Wednesday the 29th, 8pm
• NY percussion star & Warriors fan Annette A. Aguilar’s quartet on Thursday the 30th, 8pm
– celebrate Game 1 of the finals! Live music ’til 10:45pm
•,and two shows on Friday the 31st —
John Calloway & The Hired Guns, featuring bassist Marcus Shelby at 5:30pm
The fabulous six-piece jazz band Mean to Me with vocalist Judy Butterfield at 9pm
And on it goes!
"It is in doubt and not in faith that the salvation of the world is to be found. Faith is a delusion and a snare: a pitfall, a prison. It intimidates the intellect. With fear of eternal damnation religion crushes intellectual activity; with hero worship it destroys individuality; with hopes for the beyond it prevents the growth of ideals for the present. It makes of us a race of intellectual cowards; it changes but little if any our daily conduct toward each other. But doubt sets us free."
-- Job Harriman, 1902
Our events are put on under the umbrella of the nonprofit Bird & Beckett Cultural Legacy Project (the "BBCLP"). That's how we fund our ambitious schedule of 300 or so concerts and literary events every year.
The BBCLP is a 501(c)(3) non-profit...
[Read More ]